Water, canola oil, modified corn and potato starch, liquid whole egg, sugar, salt, vinegar, concentrated lemon juice, sorbic acid, spices, colour, natural flavour, calcium disodium edta
Those are the ingredients in my favourite store-bought light mayonnaise. These are the ingredients in making homemade mayonnaise:
Olive oil, 1 egg yolk, salt, lemon juice
Not only are there drastically less ingredients in the homemade version but they’re also much easier to read!
In a way to “eat local” I am doing an experiment to re-create the canned goods/processed foods I purchase, using local ingredients and items from local businesses. For this recipe, I’m using eggs and lemons from a local farmer’s market and olive oil from Community Natural Foods. I hope to encourage the readers of Calgary is Awesome to get creative and do the same! If you have any suggestions or tips for other things we should experiment to make, please tweet me at aptulio.
Steps to Making Homemade Mayonnaise
1. Separate 1 egg, setting aside the egg white and leaving only the yolk.
2. Sprinkle a little salt on the egg yolk, this will help the emulsion of the ingredients.
3. Begin whisking, you can make it easier on yourself by using a hand held blender on a low speed.
4. As you continue whisking, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil slowly one after another. It’s important to add it slowly to get the right consistency and it will take a few teaspoons to get it going correctly.
5. Continue adding the olive oil until you reach the amount you need. You can add up to 1 cup of olive oil for every 1 egg yolk you use.
6. When you reach the amount you want, add a bit of fresh lemon juice for taste.
7. DONE :)
My friend Anna and I made a tutorial but the clip is too large to upload It was mostly just us whisking for 4 minutes anyways. Got to work on that upper body strength!